Tuesday, July 23, 2013

GO TEAM FOX!!

Dear Friends,

This post is very special because of the positive effects it can have and is a bit of a public coming out for me with my movement disorder. Running has been an extremely beneficial outlet for my symptoms and has suppressed and alleviates them greatly. The farther I run, the better I feel. The less I run, with days or weeks off being the worst case, the more the symptoms return. So, I keep running and am going further than ever before! 


 
This year I am proud to play a part in the fight against Parkinson’s disease. As a Team Fox member I will be running 80 kilometers through the mountains at the Squamish 50 Ultra. Taking on the challenge of this fundraising endeavor is both exciting and inspiring. I am making a commitment to raise funds and awareness for Parkinson’s disease (PD) because of my own struggles with neurological movement disorder since August of 2012. I am dedicating my efforts to The Michael J. Fox Foundation because I believe that I am helping to ultimately shorten the road to a cure.

Over five million people worldwide are living with Parkinson’s disease (PD) — a chronic degenerative neurological disorder whose symptoms typically progress from mild tremors to complete physical incapacitation. In the United States, 60,000 new cases of PD will be diagnosed this year alone. While the average age of onset is 60, an estimated five to 10 percent of people with PD experience onset at age 40 or younger.

There is no known cure for Parkinson’s disease. Currently available treatments temporarily mask symptoms while the disease continues to progress. The Michael J. Fox Foundation is dedicated to finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease through an aggressively funded research agenda and to ensuring the development of improved therapies for those living with Parkinson’s today.

I’m asking for your support in our race to put an end to PD.  My personal goal is to raise one thousand dollars. Please help me reach my goal by making a contribution. Donations are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law and can be made online through my Team Fox fundraising (click the link).

I invite you to join me in making a difference in the lives of those living with Parkinson’s disease.
Thank you in advance for your generous support as we strive together toward the finish line on the fast track to a cure.




Sincerely,

Ed Kumar

No comments:

Post a Comment